Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Max's Life Story

"Originally, Max had intended to write his own life story" (Zusak 277). His plan was to write about all that had happened to him, and all that had led him to Liesel's basement. When he began to write what was supposed to be his life story, he produced something else. "It was a collection of random thoughts and he chose to embrace them" (Zusak 277). When he began to write the book, he kept it close to him at all times. One afternoon when he fell asleep Liesel came down and saw the book sitting at his side (Zusak 278). When she opened the book the sketches frightened her. The first sketch was a picture of Hitler saying "Not the fuhrer- the conductor!" (Zusak 279). The second sketch she saw was a picture of a German man and a little girl standing on top of hundreds of dead bodies. The second sketch is what frightened Liesel.

This part of the book reminds me of when I was a little girl. I was about 8 years old year around Halloween time. My big brother Marqui loved to scare my sisters and I with his scary masks. My big sisters used to freak out when he put them on so I always tried to pretend like it didn't bother me. The more we screamed the more he would "RAWR" at us. One morning I went into my brother's room and he was sleeping with this big scary mask on his face. I was so scared that my heart collapsed, and I started to shake. I quickly snatched the mask off his face to make sure he wasn't really a monster. After that day I had nightmares for weeks. It's kind of funny to look back at the little things that frightened me so much when I was younger.


Work Cited:
Zusak, Marcus. The Book Thief. NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. Print.

2 comments:

  1. 7/10:
    Great start on this one, Tyanna:)

    pronoun usage: "When he began to write what was supposed to be his life story, it produced something else."

    comma usage--always separate dependant & independent clauses: "When he began to write the book, he kept it close to him at all times."

    apostrophe usage: "my brothers room"

    ReplyDelete