Thursday, October 14, 2010

Loyalty and Friendship



In the chapter "The Floating Book," Rudy shows his loyalty to Liesel. The floating book is called The Whistler which was the book the Mayor's wife offered to Liesel, but that she was too stubborn to receive. Instead, Liesel stole the book from the Mayor's library and began reading it.

It was a cold day as Rudy and Liesel were walking home. "Liesel, as was her habit these days, was carrying The Whistler" (Zusak 300). As they were walking, Liesel pointed out Deutscher and another Hitler Youth leader walking towards them. They were only some of Rudy's tormentors. Rudy and Liesel avoided them by cutting around the church, but they ran straight into more trouble. Viktor Chemmel and a group of boys were crossing the bridge smoking cigarettes as Rudy noticed them ahead. Rudy knew there was trouble coming right his way. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Rudy Steiner and his little whore," Viktor said as he snatched The Whistler from Liesel's grip (Zusak 301). Rudy tried asking for the book back but Viktor only spoke to Liesel. Viktor told Liesel that for fifty marks she could have the book back. Liesel tried acting as if she didn't care. "You can keep it, then. I've already read it," Liesel lied (Zusak 301). When Viktor asked Liesel how the story ended he knew from her hesitation that she was lying. "Rudy rushed at him now. 'Come on, Viktor, don't do this to her. It's me you're after. I'll do anything you want'" Rudy said (Zusak 301). Viktor headed towards the river with The Whistler and everyone followed him. Rudy begged him not to throw the book but, unfortunately he did, and The Whistler tumbled down into the river. Rudy ran down the river bank attempting to save the book. As soon as he located the book he threw off his jacket and jumped in the river (Zusak 302). Rudy stood in the middle of the river, book in hand and as usual asked Liesel for a kiss. He knew he would be denied as usual, but he handed Liesel her book anyway.

The Whistler was a very important possession to Liesel. All of her books were important to her, but especially The Whistler because she hadn't finished it yet. Rudy knew the book meant a lot to Liesel so as a good friend he did all he could to save it for her. I definitely think their friendship is getting stronger the older they get. I think Liesel and Rudy are beginning to realize how much they really care about eachother.

I've shown loyalty to people that I love numerous times, but when I think about loyalty and friendship I think about a time someone was loyal to me. His name is Naji, he's not only my significant other, but also my best friend. When we were a bit younger I would stay over at his house all the time even though I wasn't supposed to because of our parents' disapproval. One day I was trying to find a ride home on the other side of town. It was a cold and rainy day and I never did find a ride. Instead of Naji leaving me to walk home by myself, he walked all the way across town with me in the rain. I was trying to be stubborn and told him he didn't have to, but he insisted that he walk with me. It was a long, dreadful walk that day, but the entire time all I could think was, "wow, this is a real friend I have."



Work Cited:
Zusak, Marcus. The Book Thief. NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. Print.

1 comment: