Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Mayor's Library

Liesel clearly has a strong love for books and reading throughout The Book Thief. In this chapter of the book (The Mayor's Library), Liesel hesitated to take the washing to the Mayor's house because she knew that the Mayor's wife witnessed her stealing a book (Zusak 131). Once she returned the washing a few times to the Mayor's home and nothing was said, Liesel was very relieved (Zusak 132).


The next time Liesel went to to deliver washing to the Mayor's wife, she motioned Liesel to come in, when Liesel refused the Mayor's wife told her to "wait." When the Mayor's wife returned she was holding a stack of books in front of her. As Liesel followed, all she could think was she would be tortured by the woman (Zusak 133).


"Jesus, Mary," Liesel said aloud when the Mayor's wife opened a door to a room filled of books (Zusak 134). "It was one of the most beautiful things Liesel had ever seen" (Zusak 133). "Liesel ran her hand along the first shelf, listening to the shuffle of her fingernails gliding across the spinal cord of each book. It felt like magic, like beauty, as bright lines of light shone down from the chandelier" (Zusak 135).
Liesel couldn't believe her eyes, or the excitement she felt as she let each book glide across her hand.


I didn't grow up having a strong love for something as Liesel did, but I certainly have been inspired to learn and try something new. As a young girl growing up I attended church and often heard the word fasting. I always thought it just meant to starve yourself, and never understood the real meaning of it. Recently my sister and I decided to do a little research on fasting because my question was, "why would God want us to starve ourselves?" Once we did some research, and asked different people what their understanding of it was, I had a big inspiration to try it myself. I learned that not only is fasting a self discipline act, but it's also the cleansing of your body and mind. Fasting is also an act to become closer to God. So far I've fasted once, for a period of 5 days. I do believe that it helps a great deal and will continue to fast in the future.


Work Cited:
Zusak, Marcus. The Book Thief. NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. Print.

2 comments:

  1. 9/10: Awesome job Tyanna! I think the work you did revising your earlier posts has really worked because you have totally gotten the blog posting down pat on this one!! The quotes you picked perfectly backed up your opinion and they were integrated seamlessly into your paragraphs--very impressive. I really enjoyed reading your personal reflection about fasting. I grew up hearing a lot about fasting in my church too. I have never fasted for 5 whole days like you have, but during Lent (a period lasting several weeks before Easter) I abstain from eating meat on Fridays. It is always a spiritual experience for me too and so interesting to think about how it can change the way we think and feel!

    Comments for revision:
    fragment--be sure to complete the rest of this thought: "Liesel couldn't believe her eyes, the excitement she felt as she let each book glide across her hand."

    ReplyDelete