Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Feeling Of Abandonment

Liesel feels a great deal of abandonment in "The Book Thief." I would definitely say Liesel was abandoned by circumstance and not by the heart.

Liesel's brother Werner died a sickly death. Liesel was in total disbelief of her brothers death (Zusak 23). The only thing Liesel could think while trying to dig up her brother is "he couldn't be dead," (Zusak 25). You can only imagine how the young girl felt losing her brother and having to deal with those painful burdens. She also fears moving to a new place and living with new foster parents. Their mother couldn't provide the children's needs, such as food and education(Zusak 25). I don't think Liesel's mother wanted to abandon her children but she knew what was best for them.



I've had the feeling of abandonment at a young age. I lived with my mother growing up and visited my father and step-mother occasionally. I used to dread having to visit my dad because of the way I was mistreated. Around this time my mother had to attend rehab for alcoholism. She had no choice but to send my siblings and me to our individual fathers house. I remember feeling so alone and angry at my mother for leaving me. The fact that I couldn't even talk to her made me feel worse, like she'd never come back for me. I know now that it was all for the best. I don't think I've had the feeling of being abandoned since.



Work Cited:
Zusak, Markus. The Book Thief. NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. Print.

2 comments:

  1. 9/10:
    Wonderful job discussing the theme of abandonment in this book. I love reading your posts because you always do such a nice job tying the book into your own life experience. This book gives us so many important things to think about and overcoming feelings of abandonment and showing that we are survivors is just the start!

    I am also very impressed that you cited your page numbers in parentheses--you are doing that exactly right! If its ok wtih you, I will use your blog as an example in class tomorrow to show everyone how to cite their page numbers properly. It makes it so much easier to find the exact section of the book that you are writing about when you do that:)

    Comments for Revision:
    Be sure to always capitalize the title of your blog post.

    Fragment: "Especially now having to go to new foster parents alone with her brothers burdens overbearing her."

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10/10: Whohoo! This post looks great! Keep up the great work on your revising:)

    ReplyDelete